Deadline: April 15, 2021
Position: Wildlife Rehabilitation Intern
Number of Positions Available: To be determined
Time Period: May – August (with the possibility for extension in April and/or September)
Hours: 20-40 hrs/week
Minimum commitment: 4 months preferred
***March 22, 2021: Rehabilitation Centre is still accepting applications, Wildlife Hospital internships have been filled***
WILDNorth operates out of two facilities. Our Wildlife Hospital is in Edmonton, and is accessible by public transit. Our Rehabilitation Centre is in Parkland County (North of Spruce Grove) and is not accessible by public transit. You will need to specify which location you’d prefer to intern from in your application form. If you have no preference, please indicate that to us. For maps, click here.
WILDNorth is seeking enthusiastic people who love wildlife, the outdoors, have a strong desire to learn and work well in a team environment, to assist us in maintaining the best care possible for our patients.
WILDNorth is a non-partisan, charitable organization that provides compassionate care for injured, orphaned, and contaminated wildlife and educates the public on the importance of wildlife in our community. We provide a high standard of care to a wide variety of native and migratory species. Approximately 80% of our patients are wild birds (waterfowl, birds of prey, songbirds) and 20% small mammals (squirrels, porcupines, fox).
Working under the supervision of the Animal Care Manager or appropriately identified staff, interns will assist with the following:
- Monitoring progress of patients, recording weights and food intake, and maintaining proper environment
- Assisting with medical treatments, capture and restraint of patients
- Hand-feeding orphaned mammals and birds around the clock
- Preparing species’ diets, daily feeding, cleaning and enrichment of animal enclosures
- Specialized waterfowl care
- General facility cleaning including sweeping/mopping floors, washing dishes, disinfecting counters/sinks
- Reporting maintenance and/or safety hazards to the rehabilitation staff and correcting hazards if possible
- Lifting and hauling items up to 40 lbs, including trash and recycling
- Assisting with organizational or construction projects, as needed
- Assisting staff with rescues, supply pick-up, patient transfers from our wildlife hospital
- Maintaining high energy levels throughout a long workday
- Additional duties as requested
Interns are required to follow all policy, procedures and protocols at WILDNorth to ensure a high standard of animal care. Interns will also interact with and work with other facility volunteers, summer students and casual relief staff.
All positions are voluntary, NO salary is offered. Housing and transportation is not provided.
- Minimum age of 18 years of age or older
- Experience or coursework in: biological or environmental sciences, wildlife rehabilitation or management, veterinary medicine, animal welfare or husbandry
- Current tetanus vaccination, good physical health, and stamina
- Rabies vaccination an asset
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to be motivated, flexible and patient in a highly demanding work environment
- Criminal record check
- Must provide references
Benefits & skill development for the Intern
- Species identification, habitat enrichment, release site research and proper husbandry techniques
- Animal handling, tube feeding, dosage calculations, administering medication, performing lab work
- Further your career or educational goals
- Orientation and training provided
- Learning job skills and team work
- Mentorship and friendships with like-minded people
- Certificate of completion of internship provided
1. FILL in this application form
2. Gather all your curriculum vitae (resume)
3. Respond to the confirmation email with your resume/CV and references.
All correspondence MUST be via email.
DO NOT CALL OUR HELPLINE (unless you’ve found injured or orphaned wildlife). This is for wildlife calls ONLY. Please direct any questions to our Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com
WILDNorth’s staff thanks you for your interest in our volunteer internship program. All applicants will go through an application, screening, and interview process. Successful candidates will then attend an orientation, in class training, and onsite training.