Deadline: March 15, 2023
Closing Date: March 15, 2023; applications will be processed on a rolling basis
Position: Wildlife Rescue & Frontline Intern
Number of Positions Available: To be determined
Time Period: May 1 through August 31
Hours: 20 hrs per week (two 10hr shifts)
WILDNorth is seeking enthusiastic people who love wildlife, the outdoors, and have a strong desire to learn and work well in a team environment. WILDNorth is a non-partisan, charitable organization that provides compassionate care for injured and orphaned wildlife and educates the public on the importance of wildlife in our community. We provide a high standard of care to a wide variety of native and migratory species. Approximately 80% of our patients are wild birds (waterfowl, birds of prey, songbirds) and 20% small mammals (squirrels, porcupines, fox).
Working under the supervision of the WILDRescue Manager and Helpline Manager, interns will assist with the following:
- Field and log phone calls from, and provide solutions to the public about wildlife concerns
- Drive to and from Wildlife Hospital and rescue locations
- Coordinate with WILDRescue Manager and Helpline callers
- Formulate effective strategies for wildlife capture in the field
- Utilize nets and other equipment to capture wildlife
- Physically handle wildlife
- Work cooperatively with other wildlife rescuers
- Liaise with public and represent WILDNorth in a positive manner
Interns are required to follow all WILDNorth policy, procedures and protocols. Interns will also interact and work with other facility volunteers, summer students and casual relief staff.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to be motivated, flexible, and patient in a highly demanding work environment
- Able to endure a physically challenging environment and lift/ carry 40 lbs.
- Experience or coursework in biological or environmental sciences, wildlife rehabilitation or management, veterinary medicine, animal welfare or husbandry
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must have a valid driver’s license and provide a driver’s license abstract
- Must have current tetanus vaccination
- Two (or more) Covid-19 vaccinations
- Rabies vaccination is an asset
- Must provide a Criminal Record Check
- Must provide references
All positions are voluntary, NO salary is offered. Housing and transportation is not provided.
Benefits & skill development for the Intern
- Species identification and wildlife capture/handling experience
- Wildlife management and conflict resolution experience
- Further your career or educational goals
- Orientation and training provided
- Learning job skills and team work
- Mentorship and friendships with like-minded people
- Certificate of completion of internship provided
1. FILL in this Application Form
2. Submit application
3. Respond to the confirmation email with your resume and references.
All correspondence must be via email.
DO NOT CALL OUR HELPLINE (unless you’ve found injured or orphaned wildlife). This is for wildlife calls only. Please direct any questions to our Volunteer Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
WILDNorth’s staff thanks you for your interest in our volunteer internship program. All successful applicants will go through an application, screening, and interview process followed by orientation, and onsite training.